May 24, 2012
Nothing says “summer” like a day at the beach.
Whether your beach is at the ocean, lake, or a pool and sandbox in your backyard, plan a few activities to make your “day-at-the-beach” fun and memorable.
- Seashell Scavenger Hunt; who can find the best variety of colors and shapes? (if you’re using a backyard sandbox, hide some shells ahead of time)
- A Limbo Contest will entertain kids of all ages.
- Sandcastle Contest with a twist; if you have a large group hand out different colored shovels and buckets. Each child must find their contest partner by matching their colors.
- Flying Disc contest; who can throw the farthest, or what team can last the longest without dropping the disc.
- Set up a Tropical Fish Bean Bag Toss game in the sand.
Mix up a batch of this and kids can snack all day long. It won’t melt or spoil in the hot sun.
Beach Snack Mix
Start with a large zip-top bag and add one cup each of:
- Pretzel sticks (driftwood)
- Chow mien noodles (seaweed)
- Peanuts (beach pebbles)
- Toasted Oat “O” cereal (float tubes)
- Gummy Life-Savers (life preservers)
- Gummy Worms & Sharks (sea creatures)
- Gold Fish Crackers
- Dried fruits or raisins (sunken sea treasures)
Sea, Sun & Surf, what’s not to love?
A day-at-the-beach is an affordable mini-vacation! With a little planning you can keep your “sea-monkeys” entertained for hours.
Where is your favorite beach?