January 7, 2014
Decades, Party Planning, Retirement Community Ideas, Senior Living Audrey Hepburn, award season, awards party, Cary Grant, director clapboard, Elizabeth Taylor, Hollywood, Hollywood theme party, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Humphrey Bogart, James Dean, Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, reminiscing, retirement communities, retirement community party, senior living, Vivien Leigh
When I think of stardom and who has achieved it, my mind goes several places. The first, would be toward people like Madonna or Brad Pitt. They are considered to be household names, at least by most people. The second avenue, however, is the classic Hollywood stars that set a standard for generations to come. The Golden Age of Hollywood was in the height of our elders’ generation. Humphrey Bogart, James Dean, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Vivien Leigh — they set the stage for what we recognize as the classic Hollywood star’s silver screen glamour.
This kind of glamor brightens any party occasion — and it provides a great window for reminiscing the past. There is something unique about Hollywood and its impression on the people who have watched it, since cinema is one of the many ways our experiences are given. Our memories are in films, and our lives are intertwined with them.
So, in order to conjure a look like this for your residents, there are several things you can think about:
- Award season is a perfect time to host a dazzling Hollywood event!
- The colors you use can be simple and classic — red, gold, silver, and even black.
- Use movie themed balloons either as centerpieces or for marking an entrance way.
- Whether you go for gold, silver, or red, tableware can go a long way!
- Give our your own awards with these award statues. It can be for more serious accomplishments, or for more lighthearted and silly awards too.
- To treat your residents and make them feel special, roll out the red carpet for them. It comes with golden stars imprinted to make them feel special!
- Putting up backdrops of stage curtains or cityscapes can also set a fun tone for the event.
- Provide feather boas for the ladies to make the night even more charming.
- Try drawing a raffle of favorite actors and actresses of your residents. Whichever one is drawn, a movie can be selected with that star or starlet in it! Not only will they have active participation in an activity, but it will give them some choices as to what is done for a movie experience.
- For an extra touch, get a Peel ‘N Place star. To can create your own walk of fame with staff and residents’ names!
What are some iconic images you get of Old Hollywood? Memories? How would you like to see a party come together? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!